Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Snoring is not always as harmless as we think. Consult your Woodstock Dentist and Snoring & Sleep Apnea Specialist!
Snoring occurs when the tongue falls into the back of the throat. This narrows the airway and causes air to move quickly through the passage, resulting in the vibration of the uvula (i.e. snoring). Even though light snoring may not be life-threatening it is a significant concern/disturbance/interruption for your significant other. However, if you’re snoring advances into sleep apnea, that’s when you start getting worried and consult your doctor.
What is Sleep Apnea? Your Woodstock Dentist and Snoring & Sleep Apnea Specialist explains…
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) occurs when the airway completely collapses, blocking airflow into the lungs. It is a serious and life threatening condition. When the obstruction remains in place for more than 10 seconds and occurs more than five times per hour, the patient will usually suffer from chronic sleepiness, depression, high blood pressure, strokes, morning headaches and heart attacks due to hypoxia (a low level of oxygen during sleep).
Snoring and Sleep Apnea Treatment Sequence:
- Medical assessment by family doctor or sleep specialist, including sleep test.
- Referral and diagnostic reports sent to dentist (for mild to moderate OSA cases).
- Clinical dental examination.
- Fabrication and insertion of OSA appliance (follow up appointments are necessary).
- In severe cases, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) or even uvula surgery may be considered.
Learn about obstructive sleep apnea.
741 Dundas Street,
Toll Free: 1-833-537-6667
Monday: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Wednesday : 9:00am – 7:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Friday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Saturdays: (2 per month) - 9:00am – 3:00pm